i’m back from my winter vacation and the post-florida blues are starting to settle in. luckily for me, i’m going back again in march *throws confetti* 🎉 i like to consider myself somewhat of an expert on southwest florida; i’ve been going there once a year for practically my whole life.
i’m so thankful that i’m able to come to florida, relax and recharge before my spring semester begins again. matt and i were able to sleep in if we wanted to, workout when we wanted to, and spend all day at the beach. and… we pretty much did just that!
um, um, um ps: the lilly pulitzer after party sale begins today! get your florida-wardrobe on at low prices!
everybody’s gotta eat. while matt and i didn’t eat out too much (our lunches were pub subs! and breakfast was always at the condo), i do have a short list of delicious restaurants
- The Island Gypsy: Without a doubt, my favorite restaurant in the area. The restaurant sits over the water and if you’re there at the right time, you’ll have amazing sunset views. The food is fresh and the cocktails are delicious. Make sure to save room for a heaping slice of carrot cake! Make a reservation or you could be waiting for a while!
- Tommy Bahama Restaurantt: Live music + an upscale twist on beach fare = perfect combination. It’s on busy 3rd Street surrounded by loads of shopping so if you’ve got to wait for a table, you can pick up some island-inspired gear 😉 Also, their key lime pie is to die for!! A macadamia nut crust?! YUM!
- Kilwins: If you’re in the mood for ice cream, Kilwin’s is the best on Fifth Ave. Grab a scoop and gawk at all the wealth on Fifth – have you ever seen a Rolls Royce parallel parked?!
- Tuckaway Cafe: If you’re on Ft Myers Beach and you’re desperate for a bagel sandwich –> TUCKAWAY is your place!
- Skillets: A local breakfast chain that is, rightfully so, named the best in the area!
- Taco Lindo: Cheap and delicious tacos – name a better duo, I’ll wait.
- Ft Myers Beach: I may be a bit biased but FMB is the best in the area — white, sandy coastline that stretches for miles! It’s dog-friendly and as long as you don’t have glass, you can bring your drinks to the beach. Or you can stop at the tiki hut at The Outrigger for a drink and some snacks! Other beaches include: Tiger Tail on Marco, Sanibel Island, and Naples Beach.
- Boat Tour of Naples Bay: this is a beautiful tour of naples bay and the guides know a lot of history about the area. The houses you’ll see are extravagant and over the top, just like much of Naples 😉 You’ll even get to see Dick Portillo’s (of Portillo’s!) home and yacht!
- Golfing: make like a retiree and hit the links! there are about a million and one golf courses in the area – or mini golf, if that’s your thing 😉
Phew – what a list! i’m excited to head back to the area in march and hopefully add to this list! do you have any favorite spots i should check out? leave a comment below 🙂