I’ve been obsessed with my weeknight chicken enchiladas verdes lately. They are so easy to make, whether you make your own roasted tomatillo salsa or pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. I like to pair them with some fresh margaritas and guacamole for the ultimate weeknight Mexican-ish fix!
How to make Weeknight Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
I like to keep things as easy as possible, especially for weeknight dinners. If I have thawed chicken breast in the fridge, I’ll boil it for about 12 minutes or until the breasts are no longer pink. Then, I shred up the chicken into a using my KitchenAid Stand Mixer but work with what you’ve got! If you’ve got a hand mixer, great! If not, we’ve all got two forks.
And if you don’t have any chicken thawed, don’t fret. Pick up a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and it’s just as yummy!
Once I’ve got my shredded chicken in a bowl, I’ll add half of the salsa verde, sour cream/greek yogurt combo, cilantro, half of my shredded cheese, lime juice salt, and pepper and mix mix mix. You can use store bought salsa verde or make your own!
Then, add some of the salsa verde to the bottom of a greased baking dish. Just enough to give things a little flavor, you know? Add a couple spoonfuls of the chicken mixture to a tortilla, roll up, and place seam side down in the baking dish. Continue until you run out of chicken mixture. Coat the top of the tortillas with the remainder of the salsa verde and sprinkle the rest of cheese on top, too. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Garnish with cilantro or fresh jalapeno.
It’s that easy.
The chicken enchiladas verdes also make an excellent freezer meal. All you need to do is assemble the enchiladas up until they’re ready to bake and instead of putting them in the oven, cover with aluminum foil or your baking dish lid and store for up to 3 months. You’ll need a few extra minutes of bake time but nothing too crazy.
Serve ’em up with your favorite margaritas and you’ve got yourself an excellent easy weeknight dinner!
Chicken Enchiladas Verdes
- 10 corn tortillas or whatever you prefer!
- 1 lb chicken breast rotisserie chicken is perfect, too!
- 2 cups salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded cheese I like a mix of monterey jack and chihuahua
- salt to taste
- lime to garnish
- sliced jalapeno to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a baking dish.
- Place shredded chicken, sour cream, greek yogurt, 1 cup salsa verde, 1/2 cup shredded cheese, salt, chopped cilantro, and lime juice in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop 2 spoonfuls of chicken mixture into corn tortillas, roll tightly, and place in baking dish seam side down. Repeat until you are out of tortillas.
- Cover enchiladas with remaining salsa verde and shredded cheese.
- Bake until cheese is melty, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and garnish with fresh cilantro and jalapeno.