Happy Monday! I’m bringing back my workout plan for the week and throwing in our dinner plans! Of course, these are just plans and things will likely change. We’ve been on an eat-at-home kick the last few weeks after a very spendy first few months of the year. (Wedding planning, travel, and school really know how to drain your wallet.)
So, I work three days a week which leaves me with four days off every week. Currently, I workout on all of my days off (most of the time, anyway). And, in an ideal world, I’d get five dedicated workout days in. But I don’t live in an ideal world and my job is tough on the body so, whatever. Some nights, after getting home, I’ll try to do a yoga class to stretch out and relax. Most nights, though, I shower, eat dinner, and get into bed.
Anyway, I mentioned a little over a week ago that I was starting to run again. Most days my plan is to run for about a half hour. And then for my “long run” days, I’m planning to add 10% to the run (so, last week I ran 33 minutes for my “long run” and my “long run” this week will be about 36 minutes). The reason behind adding 10% is to safely (read: injury free) increase time and mileage. I don’t have any mileage goals at this time because I don’t feel it’s necessary. I think once I get my time down to 10 minutes per mile, I’ll focus more on distance rather than time. Right now, it’s easier for me to get over the mental hump of running for time over distance. Does that make sense? Maybe. Maybe not. I’m also going to start incorporating “speed” work into my runs so like, if I’m running for 30 minutes, I’ll do warm-up jog for 10, push pace for 15, and then do a cool-down jog for 5. (By speed work I mean running at an 11:30 pace versus a 12 minute pace, nothing actually fast, LOL.)
- Monday: Run 30-35 minutes & strength train
- Tuesday: Strength train, day off from running?!
- Wednesday: Run 30 minutes & strength train
- Thursday: 10K steps – will be at work! – and attempt a short YWA class.
- Friday: 10K steps – will be at work!
- Saturday: 10K steps – will be at work! I will probably fall right into bed as soon as I’m showered and Ellie is taken care of, to be honest! Day 3/3 is always the roughest.
- Sunday: Run 35-40 minutes & strength train
I hit up Costco for a bulk-shop a week ago so we have all of our staples: yogurt, meat in the freezer, rice, protein shakes (we love Fairlife), etc. One or both of us will make a grocery run early on in the week for some fresh produce like bananas, mixed greens, and other salad fixings. The goal this week is to have a jumbo salad for lunch four times this week. Let’s get it!
- Monday: Grilled chicken gyros // basically everything in this greek chicken salad, tossed into a pita and topped with homemade tzatziki.
- Tuesday: Homemade chicken burrito bowls // you can find a recipe for this just about anywhere but we season the chicken with salt, pepper, smoked paprika, chili powder, honey, and adobo sauce before throwing it under the broiler for 10 minutes. Then we top them with whatever burrito bowl toppings we have like southwestern roasted corn from Trader Joe’s (NOT the one with cotija!), avocado, sauteed peppers and onions, and beans! It’s an easy way to throw together a nutritious and high-protein meal. Maybe one day I’ll share Matt’s “recipe”.
- Wednesday: Shrimp & veggie stir fry with rice!
- Thursday: I think Matt is off. We don’t have a meal idea planned but I’m sure he’ll cook something good!
- Friday: We both work so dinner will be leftovers from one of the previous nights.
- Saturday: We both work again today so we’ll probably eat out (Chipotle, likely) or eat something quick at home like a sandwich or a Trader Joe’s freezer meal (I love making my own “panda bowl” with some orange chicken, teriyaki chicken, rice, and broccoli!)
- Sunday: Celebrating my sister Caitlin’s birthday at my parents house! Dinner is TBD although it’ll likely be something small/light since my parents will have lunch and cake!